Report: Scotland fall to tournament hosts Malaysia in tight game

June 16, 2017

Scotland women entered their third game of the MABA tournament looking for a win against tournament hosts, Malaysia.

Scotland came into the game  having won 1 out of 2 games in the tournament, whereas ranked 43rd in the world , Malaysia were unbeaten so far.

Scotland shot out to an early 8-0 lead on the back of two three-pointers from Sarah Thomson. Malaysia would quickly close the gap however, and by halfway through the first quarter they had brought it back to a 9-8 lead. The Malaysian team would continue to stretch out the lead as the team’s leading scorer, Hui Pin Pang was effective at drawing fouls and getting to the line. Pang would then hit a 3-pointer to give Malaysia 21 for the quarter. It would seem that Thompson was not done yet however, as she hit another 3-pointer to finish the first quarter 21-18.

After being down coming out of the gates in the second, Scotland shot the ball superbly and managed to build themselves a 7-point lead by halfway through the quarter after Dee Hayward – who was coming off a 33-point performance the day before – gave the team the lead. Malaysia would mount a comeback of their own later in the quarter and by the halftime break the game was tied 37-37.

The game would continue to be close throughout the second half, as the lead would change hands five times in just the third quarter. Sarah Thomson would continue her excellent shooting performance, scoring the first points of the second half. Hannah Robb also played very efficiently amassing 9 points in just 10 minutes of play, but would get into foul trouble and have to sit out the remainder of the game. With the game still neck and neck, the score was drawn at 53-apiece going into the fourth.

Scotland would strike first in the final quarter as Erin McGarrachan hit two consecutive jumpers and Dee Hayward would then get the layup inside. Yet still it seemed that Malaysia were not going away, as they went on a run that would put them up 64-59 with just under 4 minutes to go.

The game would go scoreless for the next two minutes as it seemed neither team could put the ball in the basket. The drought would be broken however as McGarrachan was fouled on a shot attempt and would go on to convert both free throws. 

Unfortunately, Scotland could not keep this momentum as Malaysia’s Chiau Ting would hit a two-pointer on the next possession to put her team up with just 24 seconds to go. Sarah Thomson then missed the teams next shot attempt, and Malaysia would grab the rebound, forcing Scotland to foul. With 16 seconds to go Nur Yakkob would hit 1 of 2 free throws, which was enough for Malaysia to close out the game 67-64.

Scotland will now play their final game of the MABA tournament tomorrow as they face Taiwan Fo Guang at 2.00pm BST.