Women and Girls Fund
This International Women’s Day, we are delighted to announce that 13 clubs have been funded to deliver projects targeting women and girls through basketballscotland’s Women & Girls Fund. With over 23 clubs applying to the fund, there were some brilliant project ideas and lots of enthusiasm to develop the female game in Scotland. Projects funded range from developing teenage girls as coaches and officials through qualifications and mentorship to improving wellbeing through yoga in a basketball setting. All projects are targeted towards at least one of the following focus areas:
- Increasing participation for women and girls in your club
- Growing the number of women and girls in coaching, refereeing or club leadership roles in your club
- Increasing the positive experience women and girls have of basketball in your club
- Removing barriers to participation for women and girls in your club
- Growing the profile of women and girls in your club
- Providing new and innovative ways for women and girls to take part in basketball in your club
- Positively impacting the health and wellbeing of women and girls in your club
Our hope is that this funding will get these projects off the ground but that they can quickly become sustainable and regular features of club programmes. What works in one club might not work in another but the learning from these projects will be shared across registered clubs and where significant success occurs we will hopefully see replication of ideas in different parts of the country.
basketballscotland is committed to meaningfully growing the female game through our Changing The Game strategy, in partnership with clubs and wider organisations. There is much progress to be made, but a collective desire to improve opportunities, quality of experience and the diversity of decision makers across Scottish basketball. It is hope that this funding support will have a wide impact across the focus areas above and contribute towards some of this progress. We also hope to provide this fund regularly over the next few years so there will be plenty opportunity to get involved if your club missed out this year.
If you would like support to develop your women and girls section, have questions regarding the fund or anything else related to female basketball in Scotland, please contact Amy Kirkhouse at firstname.lastname@example.org